Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Hill and Storms...

At the lake that I grew up there is road that winds through the park. About half way through is a hill. My grandparent’s lake lot was at the bottom of “THE HILL”. Everyone referred to this as “THE HILL”. Anyone that reads this that knows the lake I’m talking about knows what “THE HILL” is.

I remember as a child that this hill was huge. I had to get quite the running start to make it up the hill. I remember watching many kids push their bikes up this hill. I was having a conversation with a friend the other day. We were talking about what things must look like through the eyes of a little child. Everything must look huge! Simple trees probably look like Redwoods; dogs must look like the size of woolly mammoths, and a plate full of food sure looks like an all-you-can-eat buffet. Can you remember the days when everything around you looked so big?

When we stand in the presence of an Almighty God do we still feel that way?

Exodus 4:1-6 (NCV) One day Moses was taking care of Jethro’s flock. When Moses led the flock to the west side of the desert, he came to Sinai, the mountain of God. There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire coming out of a bush. Moses saw that the bush was on fire, but it was not burning up. So he said, “I will go closer to this strange thing. How can a bush continue burning without burning up?” When the Lord saw Moses was coming to look at the bush, God called to him from the bush, “Moses, Moses!” And Moses said, “Here I am.” Then God said, “Do not come any closer. Take off your sandals, because you are standing on holy ground. I am the God of your ancestors – the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” Moses covered his face because he was afraid to look at God.

This encounter must have made Moses feel so inadequate. The scripture goes on not to talk about how great of a man that Moses was, but it shows how BIG God is. I know we aren’t kids anymore. I know the trees don’t seem so big, most of us have to sit down to pet a dog and a plate of food can disappear in minutes (especially if it’s nachos). As a matter of fact, last summer I went back and climbed that hill at the campground where I grew up. It’s not that big. It’s time that we enjoy the Almightiness (is that a word) of God. It’s time that in the midst of our trials we stop and look at just how huge He is. Recently a friend shared a saying with me, “It’s time to stop telling God how big your storms are and start telling the storms how big your God is!” Imagine yourself walking in the woods and God shows up, like he did to Moses that day. It’s easy to imagine…look around you. God shows up every day of our lives. When was the last time you watched a sunset? When was the last time you saw God heal someone? When was the last time you saw God deliver someone from an addiction? How about God protecting a child?

God is big…and our struggles aren’t….

No comments:

Post a Comment